SWAT Team Destroys Innocent Family’s House, Claims They’re not Responsible

It all started when an armed man Robert Jonathan Seacat shoplifted something from Walmart and then broke into a family’s house, which led to a 19-hour standoff with a Greenwich Village, Colorado police SWAT team. When negotiations with the armed shoplifter didn’t work out, police started blowing the house up room by room. Keep in mind that this family had nothing to do with any crime whatsoever. The shoplifter had simply chosen their house as a hideaway from police.

The police had their tank on scene, and they used flash-bang grenades and other explosives to try to get the suspect out of the house. Finally, after the house was destroyed after sustaining some $250,000 worth in damages, the suspect was subdued and taken into custody.

Now the owner of the home Leo Lech, who’s actually renting the house out to his son, daughter-in-law (to be) and grandson, is furious with the police for not just destroying his son’s home, but for saying that they’re not financially responsible for any damages.

As it turns out, Lech’s insurance company will cover the damages done to the outside of the house, but as for everything that was destroyed in the house, that’s being counted as a total loss. Apparently, Lech’s son didn’t have renter’s insurance. KDVR reported:

A standoff between SWAT team members and an armed shoplifting suspect who barricaded himself in a Greenwood Village home ended, but now the homeowner thinks police destroyed his house.

Greenwood Village Police said the 19-hour standoff ended with no injured officers or citizens, but the home looks like a bomb went off.

There is a large hole in the front of the house, broken windows and glass are littered everywhere and shrapnel is stuck in the walls.

Leo Lech said, “It looks like Osama Bin Laden’s compound.”

Lech is no terrorist but an unlucky homeowner whose property was caught in the cross fire when the suspect broke into the home.

A 9-year-old child who was in the home at the time was able to escape.

Greenwood Village Police say that the suspect had four active warrants out for narcotics and had a large amount of narcotics with him. The suspect tried to steal a car at the home and fired at police from the garage, Greenwood Village Police say.

Negotiations with the suspect failed after police met two of the suspect’s three demands, but the suspect severed communications with police.

Police used explosives and a ramming device to gain entry into the home after negotiations failed.

“This is a complete atrocity,” said Lech. “This is a paramilitary force used in a civilian environment … for one gunman? To use this kind of power?”

Lech said the Greenwood Village Police Department claimed it was not responsible and the city would not return his calls.

According to police, the priority was “keeping the community safe.”