Maybe legal painkiller drugs should be prohibited…
This is only one facet that explains why there’s such an aversion to ending marijuana prohibition. Big Pharma is a massive lobbying force in Washington and throughout the states that has a vested interest in keeping marijuana illegal. It’s not because of “safety” or anything like that. Just look at these statistics from the CDC about legal prescription drug-related deaths in the U.S.:
- Drug overdose was the leading cause of injury death in 2012. Among people 25 to 64 years old, drug overdose caused more deaths than motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- Drug overdose death rates have been rising steadily since 1992 with a 117% increase from 1999 to 2012 alone.
- In 2012, 33,175 (79.9%) of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States were unintentional, 5,465 (13.2%) were of suicidal intent, 80 (0.2%) were homicides, and 2,782 (6.7%) were of undetermined intent.
- In 2011, drug misuse and abuse caused about 2.5 million emergency department (ED) visits. Of these, more than 1.4 million ED visits were related to pharmaceuticals.
- Between 2004 and 2005, an estimated 71,000 children (18 or younger) were seen in EDs each year because of medication overdose (excluding self-harm, abuse and recreational drug use).
- Among children under age 6, pharmaceuticals account for about 40% of all exposures reported to poison centers.
- In 2012, of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,114 (53%) were related to pharmaceuticals.
- Of the 22,114 deaths relating to pharmaceutical overdose in 2012, 16,007 (72%) involved opioid analgesics (also called opioid pain relievers or prescription painkillers), and 6,524 (30%) involved benzodiazepines. (Some deaths include more than one type of drug.)
- In 2011, about 1.4 million ED visits involved the nonmedical use of pharmaceuticals. Among those ED visits, 501,207 visits were related to anti-anxiety and insomnia medications, and 420,040 visits were related to opioid analgesics.
- Benzodiazepines are frequently found among people treated in EDs for misusing or abusing drugs. People who died of drug overdoses often had a combination of benzodiazepines and opioid analgesics in their bodies.
And how many died from marijuana overdose? That number would be pretty close to…zero. So, Big Pharma doesn’t care about safety and people’s lives. If they did, they wouldn’t manufacture such toxic chemicals for people to ingest at their own detriment.
Another study was done that showed that states with legalized medical marijuana had far fewer painkiller drug overdose deaths than in those states that had criminalized cannabis:
According to a report this year from the esteemed Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), fatal overdoses caused by prescription painkillers dropped dramatically in states where cannabis is legal for medical and recreational use.
Access to medical cannabis, according to the study, is responsible for an overall 25% drop in fatalities associated with prescription drugs taken for chronic pain. The study also expects such fatalities to continue to drop as cannabis reform across the country allows more people to legally access the drug for medical purposes.
Study authors in fact believe that people who have chronic pain tend to rely on medical cannabis when they have this option, which also dramatically reduces the risk of addiction and overdose of other used medications.
“We think that people with chronic pain may be choosing to treat their pain with cannabis rather than with prescription painkillers, in states where this is legal,” said lead author Dr. Marcus Bachhuber, a researcher with the Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion at the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Big Pharma drives a lot of the propaganda about marijuana and other herbs. They want people to believe that naturally growing plants and herbs serve no purpose, are ineffective in treating anything, and are actually toxic to humans. What’s their solution? Of course, buy their synthetic and patented drugs. What they have to offer is a lot better than God’s creation, and it makes them lots of money that otherwise couldn’t be made if people used plants and herbs.
If people really want to do something about drugs, if they’re consistent, they’ll start with the biggest killers, the legal prescription drugs.