Record Low Hurricane Activity, Despite Fear-Mongering from Global Warmists

How much longer is hysteria despite record low hurricane activity going to last? First, they tried to tie the oil companies and the Koch brothers to global warming by claiming that burning coal and gasoline is making the Earth heat up at unprecedented rates. While it might be true that carbon emissions have gone up, we haven’t seen evidence that shows a correlation between carbon emissions and average global temperature. It’s kind of hard to show correlation and causation when the globe stopped “warming” over a decade and a half ago, even with rising carbon emissions.

They shelved that issue and tried to focus on the ice caps, and how they’re melting and will surely wipe out all current coastal cities. Al Gore said the north polar ice cap would be gone by now. But both the Antarctic and the Arctic ice are growing.

They also said that polar bears were dying off, because of the ice that was(n’t) melting. But recent reports show that they’re not dying; in fact, their populations are doing just fine, and by some estimates, growing.

They also tried focusing on weather events like wildfires and hurricanes when reality proved their other prophecies wrong. The media have been over-reporting wildfires and hurricanes, giving naïve viewers the impression that there have been more of them now than ever before. But that’s not even true. According to CNS News:

In a May speech during National Hurricane Preparedness Week, President Obama warned the nation that climate change caused by greenhouse gas emissions was increasing the frequency and power of major hurricanes.

But even though carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions continue to rise, hurricane activity in the U.S. remains at an historic low, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Hurricane Research Division, which maintains a list of all major hurricanes that have made landfall since 1851.

“The changes we’re seeing in our climate means that, unfortunately, storms like Sandy could end up being more common and more devastating,” Obama said at the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in Washington.

“And that’s why we’re also going to be doing more to deal with the dangers of carbon pollution that help to cause this climate change and global warming,” the president added.

But after peaking during the 1950s, the number of hurricanes battering the U.S. mainland has dropped precipitously. It’s been nine years since Wilma, the last major hurricane to make landfall in the U.S., struck South Florida, killing 25 people.

And according to NOAA, “the outlook calls for a 50 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10 percent chance of an above-normal season.”

The issue of global warming has nothing to do with science. It has been a political issue from the beginning. Naïve liberals (is that redundant?) are simply rooting for their team, and they don’t let the facts get in their way.