Isaac Newton said: “I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people.” We live in a strange world, where insanity is accepted as brilliance, and sanity is squashed like an ant under a boot. This upside-down thinking allows for politicians to manipulate us as easily as they breathe. Barack Obama can say one thing, do another, and not one of us bats an eye. Generally, the media is complicit in Obama’s scheming, but a rare pinpoint of light was seen this week in the media darkness.
Bob Woodward–in his column last week–said this of Obama and the upcoming sequester: “In fact, the final deal reached between Vice President Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) in 2011 included an agreement that there would be no tax increases in the sequester in exchange for what the president was insisting on: an agreement that the nation’s debt ceiling would be increased for 18 months, so Obama would not have to go through another such negotiation in 2012, when he was running for reelection. So when the president asks that a substitute for the sequester include not just spending cuts but also new revenue, he is moving the goal posts… [T]hat was not the deal he made.”
Then, on Wednesday’s Morning Joe, he said this in regard to Obama’s unwillingness to send a carrier to the Persian Gulf, because of budget issues: “That’s a kind of madness that I haven’t seen in a long time.”
Now, the Obama administration is threatening Woodward over his comments. According to Business Insider: “Bob Woodward said this evening on CNN that a ‘very senior person’ at the White House warned him in an email that he would ‘regret doing this,’ the same day he has continued to slam President Barack Obama over the looming forced cuts known as the sequester.”
Woodward said: “It makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, ‘You’re going to regret doing something that you believe in.'”
1. It’s a rare thing when someone from the media establishment scoffs at Obama, let alone rips into him or his policy decisions. So, first of all, good on Bob Woodward.
2. The identity of the official that threatened Woodward has been leaked by Ben Smith, of Buzzfeed: White House Economic Council Director Gene Sperling.
3. Now, Obama is demanding “revenue increases” to offset the sequester. This goes against the agreement reached way back in 2011, when it was decided that there would be no tax increases in the sequester deal.
4. It is deeply frightening that a Presidential administration would so publicly threaten a journalist for revealing the truth behind the administration’s lies. It shows a lack of fear for accountability on the part of Obama and his staff.
5. This madness displayed by Obama and company is a hallmark of the Democratic political machine. Lies after lies, followed by disconcerting behavior; including threats and blame.
I’m not sure what Obama and his administration think they can get away with; but they clearly believe they have the right and ability to threaten a well regarded journalist in so publicly a way as to point to a lack of any sort of fear for reprisal.
The lies Obama is pushing about the sequestration are so egregious that even an establishment media journalist is calling him out. It is said that if a lie is told often enough, people will begin to accept it as truth. However, if the lie is as obvious as those being told regarding the sequestration, no amount of repetition will cause it to take hold. Good job, Bob Woodward. Keep on it.