Gustavo Flaubert said: “The better a work is, the more it attracts criticism; it is like the fleas who rush to jump on white linens.” Criticism is an interesting creature. It can be motivated purely by honesty, or it can be motivated by fear. It can be brought about because of anger, or because of a desire to see someone succeed. It is an adaptability that lends criticism its bizarre traits. It is only in a criticizers motive that we can understand his intention. Only once we understand his motive can we either accept or dismiss his criticism.
To put Flaubert’s quote in my own words: if a Conservative is doing great work, it will attract a flood of criticism from the Left. The more unsettling and rude the criticism, the better a job you are doing. South Carolina Governor, Nikki Haley is finding this out the hard way.
According to National Review:
“Former South Carolina Democratic party chairman Dick Harpootlian today attempted to clarify remarks he made Friday at the party’s Jefferson-Jackson dinner when he assured the audience that the Democratic challenger to GOP governor Nikki Haley would ‘send her back to wherever the hell she came from.’ Many understood Harpootlian’s barb to be directed at Haley’s ethnicity — she is the Indian-American daughter of Sikh immigrants. The longtime Democratic activist immediately waved off such criticism, and today told MSNBC, ‘All I’m suggesting is she needs to go back to being an accountant in a dress store rather than being this fraud of a governor that we have.’“
This is the same man who compared Haley to Hitler’s mistress; so we know he’s a fine man. Harpootlian’s criticism is quite harsh, considering Haley’s record. Are her political stances so awful that he feels the need to call her a fraud? Let’s take a look.
1. Throughout her political career, Haley has received such awards as “Friend of the Taxpayer Award,” and “Legislator of the Year.” She certainly seems to be well liked.
2. She is staunchly pro-life. She voted for a bill that would require a 24 hour wait period prior to receiving an abortion. She even voted to give rights to unborn children, making an assault on a fetus equivalent to assault toward the mother.
3. She believes in lower taxes.
4. Haley voted for a bill that would require all immigrants to have papers on their person that proves their citizenship. She strongly believes that immigration laws should be enforced.
5. She is a proponent of school choice; allowing children who live in poor districts to receive a better education at a school of their choosing. She also proposed a teacher evaluation system based on the assessments of students, parents, and principals. This system–rather than the outdated tenure system–would determine salary.
Oh my, what awful policy! Nikki Haley has proven herself to be a force for Conservatism within the Republican Party. This has also made her a major target for the Left. This is a prime example of double-standards on the Left. If a Conservative said anything about a female Democrat similar to what Harpootlian said about Haley, they would be skewered. This criticism is certainly coming from a place of fear and outrage.
Good work, Haley. The more you rile up the Left, the better you are doing. Keep it up. When they begin to foam at the mouth, you will achieve Conservative sainthood.