Couple Tied up By 3 Armed Burglars; Man Shoots, Kills One

A group of three armed burglars knocked on the door of this couple’s house, and when the 62-year-old husband answered the door, he immediately tried closing the door on them, because he didn’t recognize them, and they probably looked threatening. (I know, he’s probably a racist, right?) But he was only trying to protect himself and his wife, who was taking a bath at the time.

The three thugs, two of whom were armed with a knife and a gun each, forced their way in and beat the man so severely that he needed stitches to close a head wound. And when they dragged the man’s 66-year-old wife out of the bathtub, they cut her hand. They took the man and his wife and tied them up while they ransacked the place, looking for items to steal. Then, for whatever reason, the three left the house momentarily, leaving the tied-up couple unattended.

While the three were out of the house, the man got himself free, untied his wife, and they relocated to their bedroom where they had a gun. They had also locked the front door and their bedroom door. The husband readied his firearm and aimed it at the door and waited for the burglars to return.

When the armed thugs returned, the homeowner immediately fired twice and shot the first guy who came through the door. All three of them fled, and the wounded one, identified as 19-year-old Taijon Voorhees, eventually died from his gunshot wound.

Police were able to nab another suspect 19-year-old Duprea Wilson, who had reportedly told others that their burglary had “gone wrong.” They had apparently targeted the wrong house in search of drugs and money. The News Tribune reported:

An hour or so later [after the burglary] in Federal Way, police were called to the scene of a dead man with gunshot wounds in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Lakewood police believe that man, 19-year-old Taijon Voorhees, was one of the home invaders.

Wilson and the third robber drove around for some time with the bleeding Voorhees in their car, afraid to take him to the hospital because they didn’t want to talk about how he’d been hurt, court records show.

They dumped his body once he’d died, the records show.

Detectives received information that Wilson had been talking about the robbery and that it “had gone wrong,” court records show. Police suspect the bandits were seeking drugs and money but might have hit the wrong house.

Wilson was picked up the next morning on a probation violation in King County. At the time of his arrest, he had in his possession jewelry that belonged to the home-invasion victims, court records show.

He was taken to Lakewood police headquarters, where he denied taking part in the robbery.

Prosecutors wrote in charging papers that Wilson is a well-known gang member who was released from prison Oct. 15 after serving time for a burglary.

The third robber remained at large Thursday.

If Wilson was indeed one of the robbers – and it appears that despite his testimony to the contrary, he was in possession of jewelry that belonged to the victims, which shows that he was indeed a participant – it goes to show once again the failure of our justice system. This particular guy had just gotten out of jail for another burglary, and he was already back at his life of crime, just a month after his release.