8th Court Hearing for DC Man Arrested for Having Shotgun Shell in Home

Mark Witaschek enjoys hunting, but since he lives in Washington DC which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, he keeps his guns at his sister’s house in Virginia.  On one of his hunting trips, his shotgun had a misfire, meaning the firing pin struck the primer on a shell, but the shell didn’t fire.  He kept the misfired shotgun shell as a souvenir of his hunting trip.

In 2012, Witaschek’s ex-wife created a nightmare for him as she told police that he had threatened her with a gun.  She had previously obtained a restraining order against him, so 30 armed police officers raided his DC home.  His 16 year old son was taking a shower at the time of the raid so police used a battering ram to break down the door and then they hauled the teen out of the bathroom, still naked and dripping wet.  They handcuffed Witaschek and his girlfriend and put them in one room and the kids in a separate room.

The police literally ransacked the house like a group of burglars racking up over $10,000 worth of damage.  All the police found was the misfired shotgun shell, an empty handgun holster, the brass casing from a fired .270 round and a box of Knight bullets for reloading a black powder gun.  Witaschek was arrested for having an unregistered shotgun shell, making him the first to be charged under a new DC law on registering ammunition.  It didn’t matter that the shotgun shell can’t be fired.  If found guilty, the DC businessman could face up to 2 years in jail and a large fine.

The police did not find any gun in the house, but that was not going to deter them as they ended up searching the house a second time, trying to find a gun or more evidence to justify their arrest.  They also searched Witaschek’s sister’s home in Virginia, but after all of the searches, all they have is the misfired shotgun shell.  Witaschek continues to ask law enforcement for the justification of the raid, treatment of his family and the destruction done to his home, but no one has ever offered a valid explanation.

But the ordeal has been dragging on and on.  Each time a court hearing has been scheduled for him, for one reason or another, it gets delayed at the last minute.  He is now facing his 8th schedule court hearing where he hopes to clear his name.

Authorities have offered Witaschek a plea deal of a year’s probation, $500 fine and make a contribution to a victim’s fund if he pleads guilty to a charge of possession of unregistered ammunition.  He has refused the plea deal saying that he is innocent and intends to prove it in court.

Americans are guaranteed due process and speedy trial, but Witaschek is being denied a speedy trial of a ridiculous trumped up charge.  I wonder if all of the delays on the part of the prosecution has been caused because they know they don’t have a case and rather than face the embarrassment of admitting they were wrong and dismiss the charges, they keep hoping that Witaschek will give in and accept the plea deal.  Hopefully, Witaschek stands his ground and the charges against him are dropped and that the city is forced to pay for the damages done to his home along with the humiliation his family suffered during the raid.

Take this as a warning to what will be happening more and more across the country if we don’t remove the liberal anti-gun, anti-Second Amendment Democrats from office.  They will continue to violate the constitutional rights of American citizens and force their socialist policies on us.  We all need to pray for our nation, for the elections this November and we need to do whatever we can to defeat the Democrats in our areas.