As Congress passes its first budget since 2009, I thought it only fitting to tell you where some of your taxpayer dollars are really being spent on.
To begin with, you and I are paying $4 million for the Obama’s Christmas vacation to Hawaii. They will be staying in a private home in Kailuana Place, which is only two minutes from the Marine base on Kaneohe Bay. The cost of the vacation includes operating Air Force One and paying for all of the staff and secret service that have to travel with the Obama’s. We’ll pay for lodging, food and travel for all them. By the time the first family is due back in Washington DC, the total cost is expected to surpass the $4 million mark. But hey, aren’t we cutting the national deficit by $23 billion over the next ten years? So no big deal, right?
But wait, there’s more! You’ll be even more thrilled when you know what else Congress is spending your tax dollars on. Each year, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) puts out his Wastebook listing many of the ridiculous projects and items that taxpayer dollars are being wasted on. Among this year’s list are:
- $3.5 billion paid to federal employees identified as tax cheats.
- $40,810 to a museum in Denver for miniature toys and dolls.
- $7 billion of military equipment in Afghanistan that the Pentagon said they will destroy instead of bringing home.
- $10 million spent by the Army National Guard on Superman movie tie-ins, even as plans were being made to cut the strength of the Guard by 8,000 soldiers.
- $5 million for hand-blown crystal stemware the State Department purchased just prior to the Oct. 1 shutdown.
- $566,000 paid out by the US Postal Service to ‘futurist’ Faith Popcorn to envision a viable future for the USPS.
- $1.5 million so the FBI can educate Hollywood writers and producers on the best way to portray the agency in movies. (I love how they are portrayed by FBI Agent Tobias Fornell on NCIS).
- $15,000 to collect human urine to test as a possible fertilizer for hayfields. (Just think of all the hormones, drugs, antibiotics and bacteria in human urine that they want to put on hay fields which in turn will be used to feed cattle which will then be used to feed us).
- $124,955 for NASA to develop and build a 3-D pizza printer.
- $360,000 for NASA ‘pillownauts.’ They hired 20 people to lie on a slightly tilted bed for 70 days. Each person was paid $18,000.
- $65 million in emergency relief money for Superstorm Sandy that New York and New Jersey spent not on rebuilding, but on television ads promoting tourism.
Unfortunately, these are only a few of the hundreds of pet projects and items that Congress is wasting our money on and then they have to gall to cut the cost of living adjustment for retired military under the age of 62. Congress is not responsible enough to manage or handle $5 let alone hundreds of billions of dollars.
I would love to take a group of 12 knowledgeable conservative accountants and budget managers and have them go through the federal spending and cut out everything except the bare necessities to run a streamlined government. The first place I would start with is the White House where I would tell the Obama’s to walk their own dog and print invitations with a computer and printer. This alone would save over $300,000 a year. Next I would ground Air Force One except for matters of state. I would limit presidential vacations to 2 a year and they have to be in the US. I would also kick Michelle’s mom out of the White House so we can stop supporting her as well. Oh yeah, I would stop all dinners and parties for our enemies including Obama’s brother.
I bet you that this group of accountants and budget managers could cut the budget in half and save a lot more than a measly $23 billion over 10 years. The federal government would be made to live within its means, in other words, they can only spend what they take in and all surplus funds goes to paying down the national debt. I wouldn’t be surprised if that could make America debt free in 10 years and then we wouldn’t be beholding to any other government like we are today.